Back in May 2019 we took over a bulkhead and door replacement on a Defender 90 which had been half completed by another garage (not local to us). It had been with the bodyshop for a very long time so it was long out of MOT and had been stood for a while. The customer was very keen to have his Defender 90 back on the road and had already spent a fair bit up to the point when it came over to us. It arrived on the back of a recovery wagon looking very sorry for itself, everything that had been unbolted from it (the whole dash included!) was now inside it, coated in bodyshop dust, and a strap was wrapped around it’s middle (bottom to roof) to keep it all from bursting out, bending up the sill panel covers.
We were tasked by the customer to collect and re assemble his beloved Defender 110 which had already been partially restored (painted bulkhead and tub). The first stage of the rebuild was to strip it back down to the chassis and rebuild from the ground up as we weren’t sure what the previous garage had done. We wanted to be absolutely thorough. The next stage is now to get the vehicle into paint, after which we will be able to being the final rebuild. Watch this space! Day 1 – loosely bolted together Day 5 – ready for paint
This 90 was sentimental for the Customer and he was keen to keep it on the road, however the chassis had rotten away beyond the point of repair. The Customer opted to replace the Chassis with a high quality galvanised Marsland chassis. It is now back on the road and the Customer was delighted!
We would always prefer to repair over replace when it comes to keeping the costs down for Customers running an older Land Rover. In this case though, we simply had to replace the bulkhead due to the extent of the rust (as you can see!). We had a second hand bulk head in stock for this early 110 so we went ahead and replaced it in two days. See the images below for the reasons why sometimes it just isn’t possible to repair!
We’re recently completed a 200tdi engine conversion in a Series 3 88″. We used a Steve Parker Exhaust system to get the gasses out the back and custom boost hoses to get them in the front. We ran with the turbo but no intercooler. The original radiator was used to keep the front looking standard (other than an oil cooler which we’ve plumbed in). The engine was sourced and rebuilt to ensure its long life.
The customer wanted his Land Rover Defender 130″ to live on forever so we’ve completed fitting a new Richard galvanized chassis (painted body colour), new galvanized doors and a galvanized bulkhead from Ashtree Land Rovers. We also did some other work whilst it was apart including timing belt, clutch, brake lines and seat box replacement. If you would like some more information on our chassis swap service please contact us for more information.